Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Twitter best practices--retweet

I have a few more best practices for tweeting lectures. I had a great talk with Lisa Louise Cooke at the conference about twitter and lecturing. We both agreed that you learn more from being tweeted as a lecturer than you do from tweeting someone else. So here are a couple more ideas Lisa and I came up with.

Thanks to Lisa Alzo for tweeting my "Serendipity and Other Miracles: Why you need Family History" lecture. I learned a couple of things from her as well:

1) It is always good to give the twitter name for your presenter (@JanetHovorka, or @GenerationMaps) so that people can go follow them as well and hear what they have to say directly, or what they might respond about their lecture.

2) Tell them great job! (When deserved of course.) There is nothing more awesome than having someone appreciate your work and tell everyone else that they appreciate it too. Lisa came up to me after the conference and said she really loved the lecture. I particularly appreciated her feedback this time because I have struggled with that lecture more than any of my others. I absolutely love the topic, so I'm really critical of myself and I had just reworked the slides again. So I completely soaked up her compliments. That was a wonderful ending to the conference for me. And when I saw that she had been so generous on Twitter, that made my day too. So now that she has recommended it to you--you'll have to catch that lecture sometime. And I'll keep working on it so that next time it can live up to my expectations too.

Also on this topic, take a look at Ancestry Insider's tweeting policy at http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/2009/08/tweeting-presentations-policy.html. He has some good usage guidelines. I also think that offering to make corrections is a good best practice. But I hope AI doesn't ever dislike a lecture of mine :-), I think I will personally reserve the right to change opinions too. And I hope claiming copyright of his tweets doesn't get AI thrown out of some lectures ;-). But I do agree with him that he is the originator of those tweets and thus he owns them. Same as a newspaper reporter--it is his take on the situation.

Looking forward to reading the FGS tweets this week. I'll be reading them from the beach in Hawaii while attending my sister's wedding. If you are wanting to read them too, but don't know where to look, take a look the people I follow here or here and follow some of them yourself. Or search for the hashtag #fgs-09. Happy tweeting.

1 comment:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Great information on Twitter and genealogy conferences - I agree that Lisa Alzo did a great job tweeting your presentation. Since Twitter as a technology is fairly new to genealogists, I think "best practices" as to tweeting genealogy presentations will naturally develop over time.