Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Why I do genealogy web review

A couple of weeks ago I tried out my new lecture "Why you need Family History" at the BYU Family History Library. It went well. We are in a unique position in the industry that we see the end results of the research. Sometimes people want stories worked into genealogy charts, sometimes I just get to be the lucky listener. But through our own experiences, and through the research I have done I came up with this short list as to why people do Family History.

Connectedness/You aren't alone
Inspiring Descendants
Finding Yourself
Healing (Physical and Spiritual)
Working With Nice People
Serendipity

You'll have to catch my lecture sometime--it is filled with lots of great stories that I have gathered from the web and in print. In the meantime, take a look at these places on the web where people have expressed their views on why family history feels good:
genealogy.about.com/library/lessons/blintro1a.htm
www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=5250
life.familyeducation.com/genealogy/family-tree/45343.html
www.lib.virginia.edu/genealogy/Beginning%20Genealogy.ppt
www.genealogy.com/genealogy/12_alexh.html
www.kinsella.org/genealogy/whygen.htm
homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~merklee/why.html
http://thechartchick.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-i-do-genealogy.html

No comments: