Thursday, October 30, 2014

Genealogy Gems Book Club

Nobody loves a good book as much as a librarian, let me tell you.  So when my good friend Lisa Louise Cooke and her Contributing Editor, Sunny Morton, reached out to me to tell me what Genealogy Gems is up to, I thought it was a great idea.  Lisa has come up with a great way to share books in a low-key, virtual manner that are based in family relationships and connections.  Please take a moment in your day to check out The Genealogy Gems Book Club.



It's a free service and each book is read and reviewed on a quarterly basis.  (This busy lady can probably do that :)  Lisa's goal is to share books that anyone would want to read and would be able to relate to, not just genealogists.  That sounds like a winning combination all around.  This is how the process was explained to me:

"Here’s how the three-month cycle works:
·         In the first month, Sunny will introduce a new title on the Genealogy Gems free podcast, the Premium Podcast and on the Genealogy Gems blog. She will share a quick run-down on the book and why she recommends it.
·         In the second month, Sunny will share a gem from the book and recommend other titles for those looking for something else to read.
·         In the third month, the author will join the Genealogy Gems podcast for an exclusive interview. Excerpts from the interview will run on the free podcast and the entire interview will air on the Genealogy Gems Premium Podcast."

It sounds easy and fun and, best of all, low pressure.  I don't know about you, but whenever I think I want to join a book club, I get stressed out at the thought of needing to have the book read and ready to discuss within 3-4 weeks.  Sometimes I have the time to do that but most of the time... well, not so much.  I feel like Lisa's plan is very attainable for even the busiest among us and she's offering great, interactive options along the way.

This is what Lisa had to say about her first book choice too:

The FIRST FEATURED BOOK is She Left Me the Gun: My Mother's Life Before Mehttp://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=genegemspodc-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0143125362 by award-winning U.K. journalist Emma Brockes. It recounts the author’s discovery of her mother’s traumatic childhood in South Africa.

This is a genealogical journey, complete with trips to archives, poring over old court cases and dramatic reveals,” says Genealogy Gems Contributing Editor and Book Club Guru Sunny Morton. “It's also about learning the past from living relatives. This is the ultimate how-to book for exploring and sharing sensitive family stories because she shows you how it’s done.”

Looks like a good one.  Be sure to check out the book club and let Lisa know I sent you!

No comments: