Sunday, June 1, 2008

Blog post of the week.

This week I have a couple of posts for you.

The first one I was intrigued with was a post by the Ancestry Insider. He compares genealogists to the ancient Shaman. http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/2008/05/genealogists-are-new-shaman.html (BTW--I learned the identity of the Ancestry Insider today, and he was right, I know the blogger but I didn't know the person. His blogging identity has outstripped his person. Sorry. Hopefully someday I will be able to get to know the person.)

I enjoyed Randy Seaver's "book report" on the novel he was reading about genealogy. http://www.geneamusings.com/2008/05/book-report-death-on-family-tree.html Last week, for an escape, I re-read Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok and loved the way he wrote about coming to terms with your heritage. Our heritage is such a part of us, even when we try to run away from it. While I wouldn't recommend the book to everyone, I am enthralled with Jewish history and heritage so I really enjoyed it.
We also just bought National Treasure II and the kids have watched it several times recently. The whole premise of this movie is the hero's quest to clear the name of his ancestor. I love how well versed he is in his family's history.
But my favorite movie involving some family history is Disney's Mulan. Good strong female heroine. Handsome hero. Nice love story. Honor to her ancestors.
Yesterday I started _Honoring our Ancestors_ by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak. And I just bought In _Search Of Our Ancestors_ by her. I'll let you know how they go.

And then I have to mention Dick Eastman's follow up to the blog post I mentioned last week. Apparently I wasn't the only one to notice. He said this has accumulated 4 times the number of comments to any other post in his 12 years. He struck a nerve. The bottom line that I saw in this post: Competition for the big database sites will be good. http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2008/05/follow-up-i-hav.html

No comments: